Friday, March 27, 2009

What is Natural Modern Country?

So what is the Natural Modern Country look anyway? It's my idea of a comfortable interior space, a mixture of Natural and Modern Country. Other styles may make their way into my decorating, out of the necessity to stay within a very tight budget. It may be interesting however to see what can be done on a (broken) shoestring budget -a sort of experiment.

I decided on this look because the images that most attracted me fell into these two categories. It is very difficult though! I also find myself being drawn to a comfortable Traditional Country (without the hearts). And while the Retro and Mid-Century Modern looks are not my personal favorites it is very possible that a bit of Danish Modern could find it's way in.

Natural is defined in The Home Style Sourcebook as having "warm tones and heavily textured surfaces". It is also eco-conscious in that it uses natural, sustainable, recycled and re-purposed (I love that word) materials.

Modern Country is described in The Home Style Sourcebook as using a "minimalist white palette in which various shades of white are exploited against each other...unusual sculptural objects, once practical...thoughtful mixture of modern and antique objects and furniture, with the emphasis on comfort."

I see Natural Modern Country as being a warmer, eco-conscious version of Modern Country.

Below are a few pics of the Modern Country and then the Natural styles from three of my favorite books, The Natural Home by Judith Wilson, The Home Style Sourcebook by Geddes-Brown, Sorrell & Wilson. and Simple Style by Julie Bird

Modern Country:
The architecture of the room is very country but the bed is dressed in a more modern way and there is a gridded rug on the floor.



This seems to be a cob house, probably in the Southwest of England in County Devon. No telling how long it's been there. A home such as this will stand for hundreds of years. That's the way to build!



This is an idea that I plan to use in my living room. I'll be exchanging my oriental style rug for a jute or sisal one and my heavy, gi-normous mission style coffee table for one that is visually lighter. My ceilings are 12' high plus a skylight and the coffee table really seems to weigh the room down and throw it out of balance.

There was a young lady who wed a philosopher
and all of his books were such a challenge to her!
Spread out here and stacked over there,
these books need a place if this house we will share!

All of my husband's (and daughter's) books are a constant challenge for me. He even has lesser used books stacked to hold shelves to hold more books!

If I could realize something like the picture to the left in my own home a major battle will have been won.

This pic is from Simple Style by Julia Bird.




Natural:

You can really get a sense of warmth from this picture. It's not stuffy though and there are plenty of clean lines .


We have a couple of amazing leather club chairs that my husband purchased from craigslist. I look forward to achieving a more neutral scheme so they will standout.




This bedroom is very white but doesn't feel cold because of the warm color of the tiles, the extra fabric around the bed, the quilt over the table and the natural wood ceiling. It's actually classified as Natural Country in The Natural Home. I can't go this country since mine is an urban abode.
The gingham pillows let you know that this is a rural home.
I think its gorgeous!

These are just a few of the many, many images I am working with. There are a number of great books to help me along. Most of them are checked out from my public library. I use my digital camera to take pictures of my favorites and then build a gallery that I can refer back to.

No comments:

Post a Comment