Monday, January 12, 2009

Linen Pillowcase

This project for a small linen pillowcase arose from a need. I have struggled with serious headaches for years and they have only gotten worse. I've tried all sorts of migraine pills, changes in my diet and finally, a buckwheat pillow. Buckwheat pillows have been used for centuries in the Far East. I purchased a Serenity buckwheat pillow from Healthy Green Goods. It is definitely one of the best purchases I have ever made. If given the slightest opportunity I gladly share my experience with others suffering from headaches, back and neck pain or even restless sleep. I have not had a migraine for months now which means that I have more time to knit!

Now I have this wonderful pillow but it needed a special case. Yes they had some on offer at Healthy Green Goods but I wanted to make my own. Besides my yarn stash I have a nice little stash of fabrics. From this I chose a cream colored linen.

Here's how I made the case:

The pillow is very small, only 11"x17", so I measured and cut the fabric to 16"x26". A little long because I wanted to embroider and then fold in the edge to cover the back of the stitching.

Sew the sides of the case using a 1/4" seam. Sew another seam about 1/8" outside of the first seam. Trim. Make a small double folded hem along the open edge.

Next measure 4" and 8" from the hemmed edge and between those two marks make three evenly spaced marks. (All of these markings are made by placing small dots all the way around the case.)

Following the evenly spaced marks embroider three rows of simple running stitch using mercerized cotton.

Turn the case wrong side out and fold at the 4" line enclosing the embroidery. Stitch down by following the previously made hem stitch. Lastly stitch 1/8" from the edge of the pillowcase, along the fold.

Press and enjoy your new buckwheat pillowcase!





I think the next one I make will have a knitted lace edge. I'll continue to contemplate that idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment