Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Knitting as Cognative Excercise

Just ran across an interesting article on how knitting and other activities may delay memory loss. I'm sure that this is common sense for most of us. Exercise your body and it will probably last longer. Exercise your mind and it will probably work better for longer too. Nevertheless I suppose it is good for a doctor to do a study so that those who have not considered this will.

Here's the link:

Interestingly the study suggested to me that if you knit and watch TV at the same time or maybe in somewhat equal amounts, that these activities (one active, one passive) cancel each other out. Maybe.

What could one take away from this? Consider tossing the tube. Our family did this years ago and it has not been missed. I spent more time reading, painting, drawing and eventually took up knitting and hand felting.

I know that most people would probably consider this extreme but consider this. While they are sitting around later in life trying to remember what they're supposed to be doing, I'll be teaching my grandchildren how to knit.






No comments:

Post a Comment